Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Crowning Glory: CFDA's big winner's and losers

So as I'm sure you have all heard by now the big night has finally arrived. That's right tonight the CFDA crowned its royal court. And although many of my personal picks went home empty handed, there were, no doubt, some great moments, and some really great designers who did take home awards, and deservingly so.

SJP in Alexander McQueen

The shows most memorable moment went to Sarah Jessica Parker giving a tribute to Alexander McQueen in front of a choked up celeb encrusted audience, dressed in a gown personally picked for her by the houses new designer and former McQueen assistant Sarah Burton. She did look lovely, I will give it to SJP, but then again how could you not in such a beautiful creation like the one she wore?

Michael Kors accepted his lifetime achievement award, which although the thought a Michael Kors frock might normally give me the heeves, even I will admit that Michael really has accomplished a great deal in his career. He reminds me of a young Ralph Lauren, with all of those glossy ads featuring a suped up Carmen Kass, Kors has mastered selling people not just a label but a lifestyle, one that now includes everything from fragrance to shoes and accessories... next stop paint? Well I hope not, thats pushing it, even for Ralph. But you get my point. He does what he does well. Again, not for me, but if you're looking for glam yet classic, sophisticated womenswear you'd be hard pressed to find a designer in Kors' league. So congrats Michael. Now, moving right along to something I can stomache...
Gwyneth Paltrow in Michael Kors

GUESS WHO WON WOMENSWEAR DESIGNER OF THE YEAR??!!!!! Ok ok Ill tell you! The one the only, the man who presented a collection for fall that brought a single tear to my eye... you guessed it, MARC JACOBS! Yay! Now, let me just say, the people that I called to win were not so much predictions as they were favorites... I dont wanna split hairs here people but it is different. And out of all of those that I picked, the only one I thought might throw me into a violent tantrum if snubbed was Marc. That collection deserves another award. I don't even know what other fashion awards there are but I wish there were more so he could go around collecting like Meryl Streep during movie awards season. But alas the one will have to do. I have a sneaking suspicion Marc might be ok with that.
Alexa Chung in Marc Jacobs Collection

As far as Swarovski goes, its all about emerging talent, and generally I think whoever wins, its great. Because when youre a young designer you can use all the help you can get so I'm the first to say congratulations to anyone who recieves the honor and the financial backing this award provides. HOWEVER, I feel a liiiiiiiittle bit irritated that Joseph Altuzarra didn't take this award for womenswear. I thought he was a shoe-in (haha no pun intended). But seriously, I did, and not because I love him personally, I do but thats not the point. But because I really thought he deserved it. Am I shocked that Jason Wu took it? Considering he's won the favor of the first lady and American Vogue? No. But I had hopes that this award would go to a designer who was truly an emerging talent, meaning one who is bringing something edgy, new and different to the fashion world and those aren't words that are synonymous with Jason Wu's collections as far as I'm concerned. That said however, I am happy for Wu, he wasn't my pick, but he's done very well for himself being such a new designer and I am happy for any young designer who gets the support that comes with this award.

Ok enough about me already... here's the total wrap up of the nights big winners...


Menswear Designer of the Year-


Tom Ford

Michael Bastian

Marcus Wainwright and David Neville for Rag and Bone


Womenswear Designer of the Year-

Alexander Wang

Marc Jacobs

Donna Karan


Accessory Designer of the Year-

Marc Jacobs

Alexis Bittar

Jack McCoulough and Lazaro Hernandez for Proenza Schouler


Swarovski Award for Womenswear-

Jason Wu

Prabal Gurung

Josheph Altuzarra



Swarovski Award for Menswear-

Simon Spurr

Richard Chai

Patrick Ervell


Swarovski Award for Accessory Design-

Eddie Borgo

Alexander Wang

Dana Lorenz


Eugenia Sheppard Award – Kim Hastreiter, Paper
International Award – Christopher Bailey for Burberry
Fashion Icon Award – Iman
Eleanor Lambert Award – Tonne Goodman, Vogue
Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievment Award- Michael Kors
CFDA Special Tribute Award- Alexander McQueen

No comments:

Post a Comment